With all the knowledge RTs possess, it’s no wonder their days are so diverse. A day in the life of an RT might include:
- Perform diagnostic testing on patients with lung disorders. Recommend treatment strategies to physicians.
- Interviewing patients and doing chest physical exams to determine what kind of therapy is best for their condition.
- Consulting with physicians to recommend a change in therapy, based on your evaluation of the patient.
- Analyzing breath, tissue, and blood specimens to determine levels of oxygen and other gases.
- Managing ventilators and artificial airway devices for patients who can’t breathe normally on their own.
- Responding to emergency situations and urgent calls for care.
- Educating patients and families about lung disease so they can maximize their quality of life.