This month is Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month. Millions of people worldwide suffer from these ailments. Respiratory therapists have the unique opportunity to help patients manage their allergies and asthma to live a life that isn’t interrupted by inconvenient symptoms, which can be easily maintained.
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) has plenty of resources for you to make sure you are educating your patients with the most up to date practices.
Some of AAFA’s resources include:
The AARC has lots of other asthma resources you can use to mark the upcoming asthma celebrations as well—
- Asthma and the Respiratory Therapist: This 3.5 CRCE course provides a great overview of the four key elements in the NLHBI’s Expert Panel Report, 3rd Edition—the starting point for asthma management in any setting.
- Guide to Aerosol Delivery Devices for Respiratory Therapists: Now in its fourth edition, this booklet contains the latest information on the nebulizers, MDIs, and DPIs your patients use to treat their asthma. It’s free for AARC members and you can even earn 6 CRCE credits by taking a post test.
- Asthma Self-Management Education (ASME): This certification program may be just what you need to market your asthma disease management program to patients, physicians, and even third-party payors.
- Pulmonary Disease Management Community: As an AARC member you can join this community of subject experts.
- Asthma Webcasts: The AARC regularly hosts webcasts dealing with asthma, and they’re all available for viewing in this archive.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments, we’d love to hear from you.