National Respiratory Care Week is October 20 – 26, and it’s your time to shine. Every year, hospitals and other health care facilities across the country and around the world use the occasion to draw attention to the wonderful work RTs do every day on the job. Kerry McNiven, MS, RRT, and Brian Cayko, MBA, RRT, FAARC, share tips for celebrating RC Week.
Students run the show
“I am educator, so our RC Week activities are determined by our sophomore students with the help of the freshmen,” McNiven said.
In fact, it’s a graded lab activity for the students.
“Every student must participate and contribute in some capacity,” McNiven said. “The sophomores usually center their activities around a theme like the different places an RT can practice or the dangers of smoking and vaping.”
The students also focus their posters, visuals, and other equipment toward other community college students.
- Plan ahead
- Make sure your message is clear
- Advertise your activity
- Clearly identify yourself as an RT
- Have your activity in a high traffic area
Promote the profession
“RC Week on campus at Great Falls College Montana State University is an exciting time,” Cayko said. “We regularly promote the profession along with respiratory health by visiting local schools, health events in the community and passing out Tobacco Cessation resources.”
According to Cayko, other activities in the past have included TV and radio segments on local stations, fundraising activities, and gifts to show appreciation to their hard-working RT preceptors at the local clinical sites.
- Start early, have a general plan in place by the end of September and scroll through the list of RC Week products made available online by the AARC.
- Don’t overdo it. If you have a big group to plan for, it can be overwhelming. Instead, delegate one day to a different part of your department (NICU, ICU, Peds, PFT, Education, etc.) and have them come up with a fun theme for the day.
- Look for some financial support from your industry partner representatives. See if they can provide sponsored meals or swag! Look for them to provide CEU opportunities at the same time. It’s a win-win for everyone!
Check out the AARC Respiratory Care Week Resources
- Download the planning guide (PDF)
- Shop the RC Week Store for promotional items and gifts for your employees.
- Use our social media posts and graphics to help spread the word about #RCWEEK19.
- Share your story! We want to hear how you’re celebrating #RCWEEK19.
Email email@example.com with questions or comments, we’d love to hear from you.