There’s still time to register for AARC Congress 2019! With vibrant New Orleans, LA as your backdrop, AARC Congress 2019 is your chance to meet respiratory therapy thought leaders and learn best practices of the profession. Still have questions about the meeting? Check out these FAQ and save your spot today!
Q1: AARC Congress attracts thousands of attendees. Should I be intimidated by its size?
A1: Attendees can make the meeting as big or as little as they want. Sure, there are big crowds in the Exhibit Hall and General Sessions, but if you prefer a smaller, more intimate learning environment, the breakout sessions will be perfect for you. Breakout sessions are often fewer than 300-400 people (about the size of many state meetings) and deliver targeted content specific to your area of interest. And if you like large crowds, then, take advantage of the networking opportunities abound at the meeting.
Q2: It’s my first time attending AARC Congress and I’m traveling by myself. What do you recommend to maximize my experience?
A2: Be sure to attend the 1st Time Attendee Orientation session immediately following the Keynote Address. It’s usually standing room only with lots of people who are in the same boat as you are. This is the perfect place to make connections with people to associate with at the meeting, go to social events with or grab a bite to eat. You’re not alone in this!
Q3: There’s so many breakout sessions! I want to attend them all. Is there a strategy I should use to pick out the ones perfect for me?
A3: You’re correct…all of the breakouts are exceptional. That’s the meeting’s greatest strength, but with that comes the dilemma of picking which session is right for you. Use this strategy to help zero in on which one to select:
- If you’re a member of a specialty section, that’s a great place to spend a majority of your time as that content is likely to be most relevant to you.
- Discuss sessions you’re most interested in with your manager. It’s likely there are sessions they’ll want you to attend that will maximize the impact on your dept. Who knows…they may ask you to deliver an in-service to the rest of the staff when you return!
- Find your passion. If your passion is mechanical ventilation, you could attend lectures all day on just that topic. But don’t forget other lectures that may indirectly fuel that fire as well, such as patient assessment, ABG interpretation or PI initiatives that may all have some relevance to MV.
Q4: How can I keep costs down in a city like New Orleans?
A4: To the inexperienced traveler, going to a meeting can be expensive, but there are ways to take advantage of what the meeting offers to save a few pennies along the way.
- If you’re traveling with a friend/colleague, consider sharing a hotel room instead of rooming separately. You can cut your lodging expenses in half by doing so.
- Take full advantage of all of the industry-sponsored symposia held in conjunction with the meeting. These sessions provide a complimentary breakfast buffet or plated lunch. Sometimes both in the same day.
- Be sure to attend the Welcome Party and Sputum Bowl Finals. Light appetizers and drinks will be served.
- Look for discount coupons for local restaurants or attractions. Groupon is a great source to find the best deals in town.