Sr. Respiratory Therapist – Pediatrics (Open) – University of Miami Health Systems
The Department of Pediatrics has an exciting opportunity for a Full-Time Senior Respiratory Therapist to join Pulmonology on the UHealth Campus. The Senior Respiratory Therapist will work as part of a team of physicians, nurses and other health care professionals to manage patient care by using a variety of testing techniques to assist doctors in cardiac and pulmonary research and to diagnose respiratory disorders.
- Conduct tests, such as electrocardiograms, stress testing, and lung capacity tests, to evaluate patients’ cardiopulmonary functions.
- Perform bronchopulmonary drainage and assist or instruct patients in performance of breathing exercises.
- Set up and operates devices such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators, following specified parameters of treatment.
- Read prescription, measures arterial blood gases, and reviews patient information to assess patient condition.
- Determine requirements for treatment, such as type, method and duration of therapy, precautions to be taken, and medication and dosages, compatible with physicians’ orders.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients to gain cooperation and allay fears.
- Educate patients and their families about their conditions and teach appropriate disease management techniques, such as breathing exercises and the use of medications and respiratory equipment.
- Monitor patient’s physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes, and consults with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Maintain charts that contain patients’ pertinent identification and therapy information.
- Inspect, clean, test and maintain respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently, ordering repairs when necessary.
- Teach, train supervise, and utilize the assistance of students, respiratory therapy technicians, and assistants.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
- Certification in relevant specialty or field
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
Back to job listings