We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Registered Respiratory Therapist.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performance of cardiopulmonary evaluation, respiratory therapy treatment techniques, and education of the patient, family and public performed pursuant to a prescription of a licensed independent practitioner. Evaluation includes the acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data obtained from physiological specimens, performing diagnostic tests, studies and research of the cardiopulmonary system and neurophysiological studies related to respiratory care. Respiratory therapy includes the application and monitoring of medical gases (excluding anesthetic gases) and environmental control systems, mechanical ventilatory support, artificial airway care, bronchopulmonary hygiene, pharmacologic agents related to respiratory care procedures, and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation related and limited to respiratory care. Utilizes the application of scientific principles for the identification, prevention, remediation, research, and rehabilitation of acute or chronic cardiopulmonary dysfunction.
- Reviews existing data, collects additional data, and recommends obtaining data to evaluate the respiratory status of patients, develop the respiratory care plan, and determine the appropriateness of prescribed therapy.
Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups in all patient care activities.
- Utilizes the application of scientific principles for the identification, prevention, remediation, research, and rehabilitation of acute or chronic cardiopulmonary dysfunction.
- Initiates, conducts, and modifies prescribed therapeutic and diagnostic procedures such as: administering medical gases, humidification and aerosols, aerosol medications, postural drainage, bronchopulmonary hygiene, cardiopulmonary resuscitation; providing support services to mechanically ventilated patients; maintaining artificial and natural airways; performing pulmonary function testing, hemodynamic monitoring and other physiologic monitoring; collecting specimens of blood and other materials.
- Documents necessary information in the patients medical record and on other forms, and communicates that information to members of the health care team.
Prepares, assembles, verifies the performance and safety of, operates, monitors, maintains the cleanliness of, and discontinues as appropriate, equipment necessary for the provision of prescribed respiratory care.
- Uses problem solving to identify and correct malfunctions of respiratory care equipment.
Demonstrates appropriate interpersonal skills to work productively with patients, families, staff, and co-workers.
- Accepts directives, maintains confidentiality, does not discriminate, and upholds the ethical standards of the profession.
Identifies situations requiring patient education.
Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs of a patient and evaluates effectiveness of learning.
- Clearly explains the purpose of prescribed respiratory care to patients and/or family as appropriate.
Includes patients family in teaching as appropriate.
Provides appropriate education to nurses and physicians coincidental to the provision of prescribed respiratory care services.
- Provides appropriate education to rotating respiratory care program students coincidental to the provision of prescribed respiratory care services.
- Observes and monitors student performance of respiratory care procedures.
Assists in evaluation of performance of respiratory care students.
Acquires and maintains current knowledge and competence to fulfill professional responsibilities in accord with NYS Education Law.
Additional Position Specific Responsibilities:
- Utilizes resources to meet individual learning needs and promote professional development in clinical practice; recognizes when learning assistance is needed with new techniques or equipment and obtains/requests appropriate supplementation.
- Engages in self-assessment and participates in activities to promote own professional growth and development.
- Maintains awareness of the generally accepted standards of respiratory care practice and the policies and procedures of the Respiratory Care Department as related to the clinical provision of respiratory care services an NYU Langone Medical Center.
- Maintains awareness of the operation and clinical application of respiratory care equipment as related to the clinical provision of respiratory care services an NYU Langone Medical Center; recognizes when learning assistance is needed with respect to respiratory care equipment and obtains/requests appropriate support or assistance.
- Maintains awareness of, and supports, the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the NYU Langone Medical Center and the Respiratory Care Department.
- Recognizes when clarification is needed with respect to implementation of Medical Center and/or Departmental policies and procedures and requests assistance as needed.
- Participates in coordination of patient care activities to provide respiratory care in a healing, humane and caring environment.
- Collaborates with the members of the interdisciplinary team and promotes collegial relationships.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the NYULMC Core Values and incorporates these into the performance of responsibilities.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional standards and regulations of relevant outside agencies, such as the New York State Department of Health, The Joint Commission, the American College of Pathologists, etc.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Participates in departmental quality and performance improvement programs.
- Maintains awareness of current evidence-based practice and uses research applicable to patient care.
- Participates in clinical inquiry and activities to foster evidence-based practice.
- Participates in quality improvement programs and activities that promote patient, family, physician and staff satisfaction.
To qualify you must have a Associates degree in Respiratory Care from a minimum two year respiratory care program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC RRT credential).
New York State respiratory therapist license.
Demonstrated competence in respiratory care evaluation, therapy and patient education with respect to adult, pediatric and neonatal patients including at least the following: assessment, airway care and management, medical gas and aerosol therapy and invasive and non invasive ventilation of adult, pediatric and neonatal patients; administration of inhaled nitric oxide to ventilated neonatal or pediatric patients; application of high frequency jet and oscillatory ventilation to neonatal or pediatric patients; transport of neonatal or pediatric patients.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Grossman School of Medicine’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation’s top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go to med.nyu.edu.
Back to job listings