Chief Pulmonary Technologist – Boston Children’s Hospital
At Boston Children’s Hospital, the quality of our care – and our inclusive hospital working environment – lies in the diversity of our people. With patients from local communities and 160 countries around the world, we’re committed to reflecting the spectrum of their cultures, while opening doors of opportunity for our team. Here, different talents pursue common goals. Voices are heard and ideas are shared. Join us, and discover how your unique contributions can change lives. Yours included.
The Chief Pulmonary Technologist will be responsible for:
- Working with the medical director to monitor the testing program of the laboratory to ensure the highest quality of testing and the highest level of customer service.
- The Chief Technologist will be responsible for oversight of staff, services, and quality in our large, state-of-the-art pulmonary function lab, supervising 6-7 full-time technologists performing 200-300 pulmonary function tests per week in the pediatric pulmonary clinic on our main campus (Longwood) and another technologist working at one of our satellite facilities (Waltham).
- Chief will also be responsible for oversight of the BCH sweat testing laboratory, including the training of new technologists in the Macroduct method.
- The Chief will also support the hospital’s very active flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy service by managing equipment and maintaining the program’s budget.
- Interviewing and recommending the selection of suitable candidates for employment. Developing and implementing equitable criteria and processes for evaluation, promotion and termination of all staff within designated area of responsibility that meet system standards.
- Creating an environment that fosters excellence, sensitivity and leadership. Leading individuals in work groups to continuously improve performance by creating an environment that assures application of quality principles and techniques to achieve desired outcomes.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating strategic interdisciplinary programs which are consistent with the mission, values and goals of the Hospital.
- Developing strategies which emphasize the cultural changes necessary to fully realize Hospitals vision of participating in the continuum of care.
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory standards, law and requirements of requisite agencies by employing appropriate systems/processes.
- Preparation of the laboratory budgets and participation in administrative strategies and information systems in support of clinical programs.
- Interaction with vendors who supply and maintain our testing equipment.
- Providing leadership for participation in research studies
To qualify, you must have:
- The knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts typically acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a clinical laboratory science. A strong understanding of respiratory physiology is essential; Respiratory Physiologists are encouraged to apply.
- 5-6 years of previous experience as a Pulmonary Technologist or Respiratory Therapist.
- The analytical skills necessary to plan for, design or enhance highly‑complex hospital‑wide systems and programs, resolve problems requiring a comprehensive and state‑of‑the‑art awareness of scientific field, or develop financial and operating plans for a large department/division.
- The ability to effectively manage the employees within assigned unit/department and to persuade and negotiate with peer level managers on issues and programs that impact assigned unit/department. Work requires effectively dealing with conflicting views or issues and mediating fair workable solutions.
The Pulmonary Division, consisting of 30 attending physicians and 12 fellows-in-training, providing multidisciplinary tertiary and quaternary care.
Back to job listings