- Holly Springs, North Carolina
- Job category:
- Position type:
- UNC Health
Did you know that UNC Health was ranked the #2 most trusted healthcare brand in the U.S.? The UNC Health brand was ranked as the #4 healthcare brand in the United States overall and the #2 most trusted healthcare brand, just after Johns Hopkins and before Mass General. Join our One Great Team!
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
***This position qualifies for our Respiratory Care Incentive Program, which includes a $15,000 commitment incentive with a three (3) year commitment and relocation assistance (relocation amounts based on location distance). To learn more on the program, please visit: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-unc-rex-healthcare-respiratory-care-incentive-program
Under the direction of department management and according to policies and procedures as defined in the Department Policy and Procedure Manuals, the Respiratory Therapist, Senior demonstrates an advanced level of knowledge in respiratory care and assigned patient care areas. The Respiratory Therapist, Senior administers competent care of patients through airway management, mechanical ventilator management, oxygen therapy, aerosol therapy, respiratory care procedures and treatments designed to assess, prevent, stabilize or remedy patients respiratory dysfunction.
– Administers standard Respiratory Care including but not limited to, aerosol medication delivery, basic bedside pulmonary function testing, breathing exercises, oxygen therapy, (Not included in Per Diem Job) and arterial punctures. Provides for all aspects of airway management including aspiration of established airways, tracheostomy care, tracheostomy tube changes, endotracheal intubations and extubations. May perform Pulmonary Function Testing as needed.
– Carolina Air Care – When working with Carolina Air Care may Transport pediatric and neonatal patients from referral hospitals per UNC Air Care Protocol. May perform respiratory care and advanced practice procedures per UNC Air Care Protocol. These procedures include UAC, UVC, IV insertion, intraoaaeous insertion, Chest Tube insertion, Needle Decompression, ABG’s, Blood Glucose monitoring, and others as deemed necessary by the medical control officer.
– ECMO – When working with ECMO may manage the Extracorporeal circulation for cardiac and respiratory support of patients.
– May be required to be on-call days, nights, weekends and holidays. (O)
– May Perform all aspects of ventilator care to include, but not limited to setting up the ventilator and verifying function using specialized ventilator modes to manage the patients disease process. Provide for an appropriate monitoring of these patients and provide appropriate weaning techniques. (O)
– Maintains and improves job knowledge and skills. Functions independently with minimal supervision. Serves as resource to other staff reflective of experience level. Serves as resource for physicians and other UNCHCS staff. Aids in training new staff members, students and new physicians. Provides in-services as required. May assume Charge Therapist responsibilities.
– Records completely all pertinent information pertaining to patient care procedures per hospital and departmental policies. Records patient information in electronic medical record system.
Determines most suitable method of administering inhalants, precautions to be observed, and modifications which may be needed that will be compatible with Physician’s
– Implements appropriate pulmonary education plan according to the individualized needs of the patient with full consideration of patient safety needs.
– Instructs patients on bronchopulmonary drainage and breathing exercises. Instructs patients on bronchopulmonary drainage and breathing exercises.
– Maintains oxygen and other respiration supplies.
– Inspects, tests and adjusts respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently. Orders repairs when needed
– Demonstrates respiratory care procedures to trainees and other health care personnel.
– Monitors patient’s physiological responses to therapy such as vital signs, 02 saturation, and heart rate responses.
● Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
● Licensed as a Respiratory Care Practitioner by the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board. Must be registered (RRT) by the National Board of Respiratory Care. BLS on hire. Must have either ACLS-Adults, NRP – NICU, PALS – PICU/Rex, CPFT – PFT, Advanced Practice certificate to administer moderate sedation in the Bronchoscopy Lab. Must maintain certification annually.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience as a Respiratory Therapist
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to read, analyze, and interpret clinical information and technical procedures. Ability to document clinical information. Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from patients, physicians, family members, and other staff. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical situations.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC Rex Holly Springs Hospital
Organization Unit: HS IP Respiratory
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Holly Springs
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No