POSITION SUMMARY: The therapist functions under the supervision of the director of respiratory therapy & sleep center or supervisor and is responsible for based respiratory therapy in the general patient care areas. Advanced patient care responsibilities and duties may also be assigned as deemed a appropriate by the director or supervisor.
- Graduate of an accredited program for Respiratory Therapy.
- Licensed by West Virginia Board of Respiratory Care as a Licensed Respiratory Therapist – Registered (LRTR).
- BLS, ACLS and NRP.
- Two (2) years respiratory therapy experience in a hospital setting.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrate ability to operate the following equipment:
- Pressure cycled/volume cycled ventilators
- EKG Machines
- Holter monitors recorder and analyzer
- Bronchoscopy equipment
- Oxygen delivery devices
- Suction equipment
- Pulmonary/cardiology diagnostic equipment
- Blood gas sampling and analysis devices
- Blood gas sampling and analyzing devices
- Humidifier for ventilator
- Specialty beds
- Pneumatic tube system
Completes appropriate documentation and charging for every procedure when appropriate either on paper or in the computer system.
Participates in documentation of patient care information to include, but not limited to: bipap flow sheets, ventilator flow sheets, medaerosol treatment sheets and patient teaching forms, patient charting in Epic, etc.
Instructs patient and/or family members regarding respiratory procedures per patient teaching standards
Responsible for maintaining CEU’s and serving as a respiratory therapy resource and offers respiratory specific education to co-workers to include providers
Complies with organization safety guidelines and communicates to the director/supervisor when there are areas of
Properly performs respiratory techniques to assure quality patient outcomes.
Coordinates all clinical activities, evaluates treatment priorities and recognizes the patients’ level of comfort based upon demonstrated knowledge and skill as a respiratory therapist
Properly performs the following procedures:
- Delivers bronchodilator medication, medical gas therapy, overnight sleep studies, overnight pulse ox studies according to Department P/P manual.
- Provides for immediate assessment of patient’s physiological parameters by performing physical examination of the chest, and evaluating findings relative to patient’s medical history and reports to RN.
- Performs EKG’s including evaluation of tracing quality per standard and performs RT assessment including proper medication, airway clearway clearance devices.
- Performs halter monitoring, including selection and editing of information for physician’s review.
- Responds to Code Blue and Rapid Responses per P/P.
- Provides airway
- Ensures supplies are obtained for patient use and credited to appropriate central supply cart.
- Performs quality assurance activities, including analysis of data to produce continuing quality
- Work with the patient care team to facilitate transfer of patients in compliance with transfer standards.
Work with patient care team to assure quality patient outcomes.
Fulfills established responsibilities related to setting up instruments and equipment according to established protocols.
Performs all respiratory therapy duties as defined by the licensed scope of practice.
The responsibilities of this position include taking verbal orders from physicians.
- Must have the ability to grasp, stoop, stand and walk throughout the shift.
- Must be able to briskly climb multiple (1-5) flights of stairs.
- Visual acuity must be unimpaired.
- Hearing with normal range is required.
- Must be able to assist in patient movement/lifting/ exerting up to 50 pounds or more.
- Exposure to infectious pulmonary patients.
- Exposure to body fluids (blood, oral secretions).
- Exposure to aerosolized bronchodilator medications.
- Exposure to high stress situations (trauma, patients, codes).
- Infrequent exposure to radiation.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must possess good reading and comprehension skills.
- Must respond to emergent situations in a calm, professional manner. Must possess effective verbal and/or written communication skills. Must possess basic math, algebra skills.
- Must understand and comprehend basic physics.
- Must respond to changes in work volume/nature on a daily basis Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work weekends/holiday and alternate schedules.
Back to job listings