May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month and World Asthma Day is May 3.
The increased focus on asthma in the month of May can serve as a great motivator to improve your own asthma skills and gain your continuing education credits at the same time. Here are a few asthma education resources from the AARC.
Save 25% on Asthma Prep Course
Register for our Asthma Educator Certification Preparation Course between May 1 and May 31 and receive 25% off the registration fee. Use the code ASTHMA25 to capture the savings.
This course has been preparing therapists to successfully sit for the exam leading to the Asthma Educator-Certified credential — a designation accepted throughout health care as a standard of excellence in the provision of disease management services to asthma patients — and it can help you do the same.
We also have two great webcasts related to asthma in May as well. Both good for 1.0 hours CRCE.
Aerosolized Medications: Acute and Maintenance Treatment of Asthma | May 10 Webcast
- Asthma and the Respiratory Therapist: This 3.5 hour CRCE course provides a great overview of the four key elements in the NLHBI’s Expert Panel Report, 3rd Edition — the starting point for asthma management in any setting.
- Guide to Aerosol Delivery Devices for Respiratory Therapists: Now in its third edition, this booklet contains the latest information on the nebulizers, MDIs, and DPIs your patients use to treat their asthma. It’s free for AARC members and you can even earn 6 CRCE credits by taking a post test.
- Asthma Self-Management Education (ASME): This certification program may be just what you need to market your asthma disease management program to patients, physicians, and even third party payors.
- Asthma Disease Management Roundtable: Available at no extra cost to members, this online community is a great place to network with fellow RTs who have a special interest in asthma.
- Allergy & Asthma Health: Published quarterly, our online consumer magazine features great articles written especially for patients and families by AARC members. Check it out and then provide your patients with a link to sign up.
- Webcast Central Past Programs: The AARC regularly hosts webcasts dealing with asthma, and they’re all available for viewing in this archive. If you’re looking for continuing education on a particular topic pertaining to the condition, look here first to see if we’ve already covered it.