Director at Large
Curt Merriman, BA, RRT, CPFT
Chief Sales Officer
rtNOW Telehealth & CORE Staffing, (d/b/a’s) Vital Nurse Staffing, LLC
Member Since: 1979
- AARC Program Consultant, Office Spirometry Certification, 2019–present
- AARC Online Course Presenter: Pulmonary Function Testing — Spirometry, 2016–present
- AARC Online Course Pulmonary Disease Educator Presenter, 2016–present
- AARC Ascent Spirometry Project Manager, 2014–2017
- AARC National Captain, Drive4COPD Adopt-a-Company, 2012
- LAC-MD-32 Project Assistant, 2012–2013
- BI Spirometry Trainer, 2011–2014
- PACT Member 2011–present
- HOD Treasurer, 2015,2016
- Delegate, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2013–2014
- Delegate, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2008–2011
- HOD Publications Committee Member, 2008–2009
- HOD Orientation Committee Member, 2009–2011
- President, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2004
- Vice President, MN Society for Respiratory Care
- Secretary, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2006–2008
- Delegate, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2008–2011, 2013–2014
- Board of Directors, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 1999–2001 and in the 1980s
- Co-Chair Legislative Affairs, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2012–2017
- Member, Legislative Affairs, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2008–2011, 2018–present
- Chair Annual Education Committee, MN Society for Respiratory Care
- Crew Chief Drive4COPD, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2013
- State Captain Drive4COPD, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2011
- Vendor Liaison, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 1995–2002
- Chair Legislative Affairs, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 1979–1983
- RCP of the Year, MN Society for Respiratory Care, 2008
- President, MN Association of Home Medical Equipment, 1999–2000
- Secretary, MN Association of Home Medical Equipment, 2006–2008
- Board of Directors, Midwest Association for Medical Equipment, 2001–2003
- MN State Chair, Midwest Association for Medical Equipment, 2001–2003
- A.A.S. Respiratory Therapy, St Mary’s Jr College, 1979
- B.A. Business Administration, Metropolitan State University, 1994
- RRT, National Board for Respiratory Care, 1979
- CPFT, National Board for Respiratory Care, 2009
Elections Committee Questions:
What experience or significant contributions do you have to offer the AARC which would help accomplish one or more of the AARC Horizon Goals as presented by President Schell?
The horizon goal advocating for our patients as RT’s from all health care settings is an area I have a significant amount of experience with. During my career working in hospitals, the hme industry, diagnostics, clinics, RT staffing, advocating for best practices. Most recently providing respiratory therapy telehealth for rural hospitals and skilled nursing facilities and working with the leadership of these organizations. Educating the leadership on the importance of providing respiratory services by professional RT’s is essential to their respiratory patients and the ability to help reduce re-admissions, prevent unnecessary transfers. My experiences using innovation and technology to address the significant shortage of rural respiratory therapists and their inability to recruit and retain RT’s.
I believe my ongoing legislative advocacy on a state and national level remains one of my highest priorities to ensure our patients have access to qualified RT’s in all healthcare.
What ideas would you present to increase AARC membership?
I am a firm believer that we increase membership one person at a time by being a mentor to others and showing the advantages of membership. When we demonstrate professionalism, positive attitudes, fun, and excellence others will want to be a part of that experience. Then we need to ask them to join!
What do you consider to be the greatest opportunity for the respiratory therapy profession and what are your ideas to help realize this opportunity?
The greatest opportunity for our profession is being recognized as a provider in telehealth services by CMS. Our professional reach to patients with chronic pulmonary issues via telehealth will have a positive impact on the patient as well as the healthcare system. This step will allow us to highlight our capabilities in this limited venue allowing for growth in all venues.