- Healthcare professionals—getting up to speed on cultural differences is just a click away with Culture Vision’s subscriber-based web site which lists questions healthcare professionals can ask their patients. The program also acknowledges that while healthcare is a universal concept, different cultures vary in the ways in which health and illness are perceived and how care is given. By accessing the Culture Vision resource, doctors and other healthcare workers can better understand their unique patients needs, deliver quality care, and enhance treatment outcomes.
- Ask Me 3 is a solution-based initiative developed by the Partnership for Clear Health Communication to improve health communication between patients and providers. For more information or to download free materials online, visit www.askme3.org.
- The Rapid Estimate of Adult Literacy in Medicine (REALM) is a screening instrument used to determine a patient’s literacy, or ability to read and pronounce common medical terminology and lay terms for body parts and illnesses. To receive a sample kit (instruction manual, laminated patient word lists, scoring sheets), write to: Terry C. Davis, Ph.D., LSU Medical Center, 1501 Kings Highway, Shreveport, LA 71130-3932. Email for updated price at email@example.com.
- The Test of Functional Health Literacy in Adults (TOFHLA) is used to measure functional health literacy—both numbers and reading comprehension—using actual health-related materials such as prescription bottle labels and appointment slips. It is designed to assess adult literacy in the health care setting. For sample pages of the package and/or to purchase the package, visit www.peppercornbooks.com.
- Linguistically Appropriate Access and Services: An Evaluation and Review for Health Care Organizations from the National Council for Interpreting in Health Care.
- Diversity Training website with several training programs.
- Certification Training for Interpreters from Cross Cultural Heatlh Care Program (CCHCP).