November is National COPD Awareness Month, and a great opportunity to help educate your patients about COPD.
According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), an estimated 15 million Americans suffer from COPD, and several additional millions likely have COPD and don’t even know it. Early diagnosis and treatment can help people with COPD improve their quality of life and health.
Generate Awareness and Educate Your Community
As you treat these patients in your practice, we encourage you to take advantage of this awareness campaign and educate your community about this chronic lung disease.
AARC members can tap into a variety of resources to help in outreach efforts.
The AARC will be posting COPD-related messages on our website, Facebook and Twitter throughout November. Share these posts on your communication tools or create your own messages to help spread awareness about COPD. Be sure to use the #COPDMonth and tag the AARC in your posts.
COPD National Action Plan
Unifying the fight against the disease, the NHLBI has implemented the first-ever COPD National Action Plan, a blueprint for a multi-faceted, collaborative fight against the disease. Developed at the request of the United States Congress with input from the broad COPD community, it provides a comprehensive framework for action by those affected by the disease and those who care about reducing its burden. To increase awareness of the Plan amongst respiratory therapists and encourage its implementation, the AARC produced a webcast for those who care for persons with COPD.
Valuable AARC COPD Resources and Tips
- Pulmonary Disease Educator Course –learn about the pulmonary disease management information health care providers need to improve long-term pulmonary disease care and improve patient quality of life.
- Alpha-1 Course – review everything from pathobiology to optimal management to emerging therapies for the leading genetic cause of COPD.
- Guide to Portable Oxygen Concentrators – discover the information consumers may inquire about when choosing their portable oxygen delivery systems.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Toolkit – maximize your Medicare reimbursement for this essential program for COPD patients.
- COPD ToolKit – increase your knowledge and get engaged in managing COPD through this in-home respiratory therapy program.
- Clinician Training on Tobacco Dependence for Respiratory Therapists – learn the skills needed to help your COPD patients achieve the number one goal in treatment: quitting smoking.
- Three aerosol drug delivery guides to aerosol drug delivery written especially for respiratory therapists, physicians, other health care professionals, patients and caregivers.