Which Respiratory Care Program is Right For You?
There are many considerations when choosing a respiratory care program that meets your needs. Most likely, you’ll want to find one close to home, but there are other considerations as well. What kind of preparation do you have? How many students will be in my class? Where will our clinical practicums be held?
The AARC has developed a template of questions you can ask a prospective school to help you evaluate a potential program. Adapt the questions below to meet your needs. Then go to the emails and links in our list of Accredited Programs in Respiratory Care.
Prospective student questionnaire for program directors
- Using your computer’s editing function, copy the questionnaire template below.
- You can then go to the roster of respiratory care programs and select programs that interest you.
- Click on the hypertext e-mail address for the program director and paste-in the template.
- Modify the questions to fit your needs
I am interested in your respiratory care program and considering applying for admission. I would appreciate if you would provide the following information.
(Modify to suit your academic situation)
- I will be a high school graduate; are there any required HS courses that are prerequisites for admission?
- I am a current college student. Please indicate the process so I can have my academic transcript(s) reviewed to determine what courses will transfer.
- Instructor to student ratio in classroom ____:____
- Instructor to student ratio in the training lab ____:____
- Instructor to student ratio during clinical
- a. Approximately how many clinical hours are required? _______
b. Of the total clinical practice hours, what % is available for students in the following areas?
Adult general care ___ %
Adult critical care___ %
Pediatric general care ___%
Pediatric critical care ___%
Perinatal critical care ___%
Diagnostics (pulmonary function testing)___%
(blood gas analysis) ___%
(sleep disorders evaluation) ___%
Home care ____%
Education (patient and staff development) ____
- What do you feel are unique aspects of the clinical training?
- What has been the job placement over the past 3 years? % ______
- What percentage of graduates pass the NBRC entry-level exam on the first attempt? ________
- Of the graduates who attempt the NBRC registry exams, what percentage successfully pass within 2 years. _____
- Program costs
Other fees ______
Uniforms & equipment _________
- Would it be possible to provide phone numbers or e-mail addresses of either current students or recent graduates or have them contact me?
I can be reached at this number ____________; best times to call are ______ am/pm.
My e-mail address is _______________________.